Adopting vs Purchasing a Cat: Which is the Best Option?

Altair

Note: I tried to remain as neutral as I could throughout this post.

A wonderful way to give a loving home to an animal in need is to adopt a cat from a shelter or rescue group. Following are some advantages of adopting a cat:

Saving a Life
: When you adopt a cat, you are essentially giving them a new lease on life. Many cats wind up in shelters for reasons outside of their control, such as their owner dying, struggling financially, or being abandoned. You can help decrease the number of animals in shelters and provide them with the love and care they require by adopting a cat.

Cost-effective: Buying a cat from a breeder is typically more expensive than getting one through adoption. Most shelters charge a small fee to adopt a cat. This fee pays for the cat's first medical care, such as shots and spaying or neutering.

Variety: Cats in shelters come in a wide range of ages, breeds, and personalities, making it simpler to find a cat that fits your needs and preferences.

On the other hand, purchasing a cat from a breeder has some advantages too:

Predictable Breed Characteristics: If you have your heart set on a specific breed of cat, purchasing one from a breeder will ensure you get the cat with the desired characteristics and temperament.

Health Guarantee: Reputable breeders usually provide a health guarantee for their cats, ensuring that you're getting a healthy pet.

Support from the Breeder: Breeders often offer support and advice, especially if you're a first-time cat owner.

However, there are also some disadvantages to purchasing a cat:

1. Cost: Purchasing a cat from a breeder can be expensive, with prices ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars.
  2. Contributing to Overpopulation: By purchasing a cat from a breeder, you're not helping to reduce the number of animals in shelters and rescue organizations.

What are some other advantages and disadvantages of adopting or purchasing a cat?
Have you purchased or adopted your cat/cats?
Do you believe in purchasing a cat from a breeder? Share your opinions and thoughts.

Nikki

I always adopt cats and have never purchased a cat. It is true that if you purchase a cat you are encouraging people to breed and a lot of those who breed cats tend to put the cat through a lot and it can have a huge impact on their quality of life.

I would much rather adopt a rescue cat than encourage breeding and buying them.

Ja sa bong

It's about choice of the cat's owner. Some will be interested in purchasing a breeded cat because they want to know everything about their cat's ancestry. Either of the option is good as long as they take very good care of the cats. I purchased two of my cats and adopted one.

Stephen

What's best for cats already out there in the world which aren't getting the best care they deserve is getting cats adopted. Have you been any cat's shelter recently? It's flooded with homeless cats. We need to do better by them.

Toni

Three of my cats that I have now are all adopted and it's because I know that there are so many cats that are in shelter homes that need a lot of cat lovers to adopt them and give them the best care they need in order to enjoy their life and also make their own is very happy.

Ragnarok

I've adopted and purchased cats. I know it's better to adopt cats because so many of them are not being looked after well in the shelter homes. If more cat lovers adopted cats, it well ease the sufferings of so many cats.