Training Your Cat to Stop Scratching Furniture: Strategies That Actually Work

Cats are natural scratchers, and their instinct to scratch is an essential part of their behavior. Scratching helps cats to mark their territory, stretch their muscles, and maintain healthy claws. However, as much as we love our feline friends, their scratching behavior can cause damage to our furniture and other household items. Fortunately, there are several strategies that cat owners can use to train their cats to stop scratching furniture. In this article, we will explore some of these strategies that actually work.

cat-scratching.jpg

Provide appropriate scratching surfaces

One of the most effective ways to stop your cat from scratching furniture is to provide them with appropriate scratching surfaces. Cats prefer to scratch on surfaces that allow them to stretch their muscles fully. Therefore, you should provide scratching posts or boards that are tall enough for your cat to reach up to and sturdy enough not to wobble or tip over.

To encourage your cat to use the scratching post, place it near the furniture that they like to scratch. You can also make the post more appealing to your cat by rubbing some catnip on it or hanging toys from it. Reward your cat every time they use the scratching post with treats or verbal praise.

Deter your cat from scratching furniture

Another effective strategy to stop your cat from scratching furniture is to make the furniture less appealing. You can do this by placing double-sided tape or aluminum foil on the areas that your cat likes to scratch. Cats do not like the texture of these materials, and they will avoid scratching on them.

You can also use scents to deter your cat from scratching furniture. Cats are sensitive to smells, and some scents are unpleasant to them. Spraying the furniture with citrus or menthol scents can deter your cat from scratching. However, it is important to note that some cats may be attracted to certain scents, so you should experiment to find what works best for your cat.

Trim your cat's claws

Regularly trimming your cat's claws can also help to prevent damage to your furniture. When a cat's claws are trimmed, they are less likely to cause scratches. You can trim your cat's claws yourself, or you can take them to a veterinarian or a professional groomer.

Training your cat

Training your cat to stop scratching furniture requires patience and consistency. When you catch your cat scratching furniture, gently redirect them to a scratching post or board. You can also use a verbal cue, such as "scratch here," to encourage your cat to use the scratching post.

Reward your cat every time they use the scratching post, and never punish them for scratching furniture. Punishing your cat can cause them to become fearful or anxious, which can lead to other behavioral problems.

Conclusion

In conclusion, cats are natural scratchers, and their behavior is a crucial part of their well-being. However, it is possible to train your cat to stop scratching furniture by providing appropriate scratching surfaces, deterring them from scratching furniture, trimming their claws, and training them. With patience and consistency, you can teach your cat to scratch in appropriate areas and protect your furniture at the same time.

Harvey

I always feel bad whenever I trim my cat's claws. It feels like I declawed them which is why I don't do it anymore.

Most times, I use sprays on my furniture to deter them from getting anywhere near it and it's worked so far without any complications.

I'm thinking of trying out this strategy of training and rewarding them which I know wouldn't be easy but it's going to be effective if I get it right.