Refusing to come out from the carton

Ivar

One of my cats started acting weird since yesterday. He went into one of my big carton boxes and have refused to come out ever since. When he's hungry, he will come out to eat and after go right back in the box.

What sort of behaviour is he displaying?

Shortie

One of my cats started acting weird since yesterday. He went into one of my big carton boxes and have refused to come out ever since. When he's hungry, he will come out to eat and after go right back in the box.

What sort of behaviour is he displaying?
It sounds like your cat may have been spooked by something and their way of reacting is to hide away and only come out for food.

Has there been any work going on around where you live? Any events that may have been loud that may have scared your cat?

Stephen

Cats have a way of feeling very comfortable in cartoons. My mother's cats literally stays in cartons for hours without feeling like coming out unless they are forced to. One of my cat does it once in a while.

Shortie

Cats have a way of feeling very comfortable in cartoons. My mother's cats literally stays in cartons for hours without feeling like coming out unless they are forced to. One of my cat does it once in a while.
This is true. I guess in a sense it's like a safe space for them, somewhere they feel they are safe and can't be harmed.

James

It sounds like your cat may have been spooked by something and their way of reacting is to hide away and only come out for food.

Has there been any work going on around where you live? Any events that may have been loud that may have scared your cat?

This could be one of those reasons. If the cat had been spooked by something, then she will tend to hide away from the public and even from the owner. It will take time before she begins to interact freely again.

Foxybananas

My cats all have a hidden spot in the house that they go to whenever we have company or when the handyman stops by, we call it their "safe place". My guess is that your cat's "safe place' is that carton box.

Ragnarok

My cats all have a hidden spot in the house that they go to whenever we have company or when the handyman stops by, we call it their "safe place". My guess is that your cat's "safe place' is that carton box.

It is under my dining table that my cat usually run under whenever I have a visitor because they don't like being around strangers they are not familiar with. I think you are right about calling it their hidden safe spot.