Have you owned a cat that is shy or nervous?

Shortie

Cats are much like humans, they can either be confident and happy around other people they don't know or they can be shy and nervous around people they do not know.

When we had Smokey, she was always nervous around new people until she got to know them and then she would open up to them.

Have you ever had a cat that is shy or nervous? How did you deal with it?

Kennysplash

Staff member
I have had quite a number of cats as pets. I think that is how they behave normally. At first they will be withdrawn from you, until they are comfortable enough around you. So if your new cat acts nervous, give it some time.

Stan

Administrator
Staff member
I currently have two cats that are really skittish. One is especially timid; even a sneeze can send him hiding under the bed for an hour. We've tried various methods to calm them down, but nothing has really worked so far. So, we've been extra careful around them to avoid startling them.

Ragnarok

My cats are always very free with me in the house. The only time they are shy is only when they are around strangers. If they don't feel comfortable around you, they will be shy and timid around the person.

Toni

From my personal experience with my own cats, I believe that they are usually all shy around strangers or people they are not very familiar with but once they get to know you, they are usually more lively around you.

Harvey

When my cats are not familiar and comfortable with you, they always going to be shy around the person but once they get used to you, they will always be coming to rub their body on your legs and even climbing your body.

Stephen

I wouldn't say my cats are nervous but I can admit that they can be shy especially when they are not in a place where they are comfortable or around strangers that they are not familiar with. But once they get used to where they are, the shyness will go away.

Sandex

With the level of love I have shown my cats, I don't think any of them have any reason to be shy especially around me. They are always very active and lively jumping and playing around all the time.

Toni

I wouldn't say my cats are nervous but I can admit that they can be shy especially when they are not in a place where they are comfortable or around strangers that they are not familiar with. But once they get used to where they are, the shyness will go away.

This is the reason why my kittens always mask their scent all over my home. It makes it their zone which they will always be comfortable in at all times. If it's when they are outside, they tend to keep to themselves and not get into other people's business.