Our Ferals ...

wombat`

Long story short - a few years ago my wife and I adopted a single feral kitten who was cold and hungry, we now have about 20 eating and sleeping and pretty much living on our porch.

My problem is how to "house them" for warmth, comfort and safety over the pretty harsh New York State winters. What I want to do is build them a wooden outdoor, insulated shelter BUT, how big would it need to be to house all 20 cats ranging from fully grown to only a few month old kittens?

I figured about 1 square foot per cat as an average - would that be enough space? If not what do you guys suggest?

The last couple of years we only used a large card board box with straw in it but that got messy. They also have 2 small plastic carry cases/kennels with bolsters as well as a large "kennel with bolster" but they are not insulated or satisfactory in terms of being weather proof.

Foxybananas

The best way to provide proper shelter and warmth for these cats is to build several shelters that will fit 2 or 3 cats at a time. Sites like Etsy have feral cat shelters but they are so expensive.
You can try to make your own by using styrofoam containers, the type that pharmacies receive (24x20x20) and then creating an entrance and filling it up with straw. Like these: Screenshot_20231202_162334_Nextdoor.jpg