Is declawing cats still legal in your country?

Harvey

Some years ago, it was a normal thing for cat owners to have their cat's declawed. They usually do so to prevent painful scratches from their cats. Overtime, it's been deemed to be a cruel and unnecessary amputation of cat's claws which is it's been outlawed in most countries.

Shortie

I live in the UK and from what I understand unless it has been illegal for a while now to declaw a cat and I don't believe that has ever changed at all.

I personally do not like the idea of declawing cats at all being that if they ever need to defend themselves outside, it can make it difficult for them to do so.

Toni

It's an inhuman treatment towards a cat. A cat isn't a cat without its claws in my opinion. Whoever invented declawing cats is an evil person.

In fact, in my book, declawing a cat is an abuse and should be punishable by law.

Harvey

It's illegal to defclaw a cat in my country. I know that some cats can be too much with scratching but it's not even an enough reason to think about handing them the punishment of declawing them. It's so wrong. It's like talking about removing babies teeth because they bite nipples when they are suckling breast.

Toni

I live in the UK and from what I understand unless it has been illegal for a while now to declaw a cat and I don't believe that has ever changed at all.

I personally do not like the idea of declawing cats at all being that if they ever need to defend themselves outside, it can make it difficult for them to do so.
It's just plain wickedness to declaw a cat for any reason the owner might have. You already know how cats get with their claws, if you don't like it, then don't get a cat. It's that simple to my understanding.

Nikki

It is illegal to declaw any cats in my country, even though people still do try and get their cats declawed in any way they can think of because they do not like the idea that they could get scratched by their cat if you don't like it then don't get a cat is what I say. I personally think it is cruel to declaw a cat and should be illegal everywhere.

Altair

Declawing is permitted in the US except for the states of Maryland and New York, but has generated more and more debate in recent years. Numerous animal welfare organizations are opposed to the practice because they believe it can harm cats and lead to behavioral issues as well as other health issues.

Personally, I think declawing is an unnecessary and cruel procedure. For a variety of necessary behaviors, including climbing, scratching, and self-defense, cats depend on their claws.

Destiny

Where I live declawing is illegal and I would never dream of getting any cat declawed.

It's a shame that some places still allow it and it is still legal as I feel it is cruel and just unnecessary to declaw a cat. Don't want to be scratched by a cat whether it be on accident or in self-defense, don't get a cat is what I say.

Shortie

It's just plain wickedness to declaw a cat for any reason the owner might have. You already know how cats get with their claws, if you don't like it, then don't get a cat. It's that simple to my understanding.
Couldn't agree more about this. It's obvious that cats will use their claws to defend themselves as well as for other reasons and if someone is worried about getting accidentally scratched by a cat or caught by their claws and that is why they choose to declaw them they really should not have a cat.

I could never dream of doing that to a cat ever, the fact it is still legal in some places makes my blood boil.

Henrywrites

Where I live declawing is illegal and I would never dream of getting any cat declawed.

It's a shame that some places still allow it and it is still legal as I feel it is cruel and just unnecessary to declaw a cat. Don't want to be scratched by a cat whether it be on accident or in self-defense, don't get a cat is what I say.

Exactly the point! If you have dislike for cats coming closer to you, why not let them be and not adopt or buy? Declawing is wickedness and any cat owner found doing so should be punished severely.

Sandex

Declawings cats is an abuse and it should be punishable by the law anywhere in the world in my opinion. Cats are meant to have claws, if you're not cool with their claws, there's no point in having them as pets. There are so many animals without sharp claws like cats which you can adopt.

Henrywrites

Declawings cats is an abuse and it should be punishable by the law anywhere in the world in my opinion. Cats are meant to have claws, if you're not cool with their claws, there's no point in having them as pets. There are so many animals without sharp claws like cats which you can adopt.

Exactly the point. The choice of other pets are there and anyone that doesn't like adopting cats should go for the others instead of thinking of declawing the cat.

Ja sa bong

It's only an evil person that would go to the extent of declawing a cat. Any cat that's been declawed is no longer a complete cat because so much have been taken away from the cat. The law isn't in support of declawing in my country and that's the right call.

Ivar

As I see it, declawing of cats should be illegal in every country. There shouldn't be any exception to this law.

There's no point in having a cat's nails removed because of the silly excuses of the cats scratching stuffs.

They are cats and they are supposed to scratch.

Ja sa bong

As I see it, declawing of cats should be illegal in every country. There shouldn't be any exception to this law.

There's no point in having a cat's nails removed because of the silly excuses of the cats scratching stuffs.

They are cats and they are supposed to scratch.
I have a scratching post at home for my cats. I know and understand the importance of having it for them to scratch on. It's in the nature to do so, denying them doing it will harm their development.

Ragnarok

I don't know if there's any part of the world where it's legal to declaw a cat unless in those countries where they even eat cats as meat too. When they can kill cats for food, what's declawing?

Stephen

Cats will lose their sense of being and behaving like a complete cat without their claws. I will never agree to the declawing of cats because it is like taking out part of what makes them what they really are and I'm sure cats that no longer have claws will definitely feel different.