Have you owned a parrot?

Nikki

I have always wondered what it would be like to own a parrot. I have had friends in the past who have owned a parrot and they have taught the parrot to speak and say different words. They can be quite comical as well once they learn a few words from you, the only thing you have to worry about is what you say around them as they seem to pick up words easily.

Have you owned a parrot? Did you manage to teach it any words? What was the funniest thing they said?

Destiny

I have not owned a parrot before but I have been curious about owning a parrot in the past. I have seen so many parrot videos where they talk and I think it is amazing.

A pet you have to be careful around when you are talking though, not sure how easily they pick up words but I have seen some parrots say some terrible things.

Foxybananas

Yes, we've had a couple of parrots, at one time we had 4 (2 cockattos and 2 African Greys) however they require a LOT of attention and create a big of a mess, they are messy eaters and since they're constantly cleaning themselves or flapping their wings they also create a LOT of feather dust, lots of it! For this reason, we sadly had to rehome 3 of them and only kept one African Grey. It was very heart breaking giving them away as these parrots are extremely smart and can live up to 50 years, but we knew they needed a home that could dedicate more time for them.
Yes, parrots are lots of fun to have around, they are very smart and African Greys in particular are extremely intelligent and develop a large vocabulary. The funniest thing that our Grey has done is merge our names with bad words.. she learned bad words from her previous owner. For example, for a little bit she was calling my other half "Stanhole"... get it?? 😆 Needless, to say we stop reacting to the name, otherwise she would have continued to say it... and we did not want her saying that or saying any of the other bad words she had heard and learned. She is now a good girl with a clean vocabulary.

Henrywrites

I have not had the mind to own a parrot. It is one animal that I may not be able to deal with the noise that comes from it. I once reported a neighbor to the authorities after her parrot kept disturbing everyone in the neighborhood.

Destiny

I have not had the mind to own a parrot. It is one animal that I may not be able to deal with the noise that comes from it. I once reported a neighbor to the authorities after her parrot kept disturbing everyone in the neighborhood.
That is something I was curious about, as to whether anyone may have had issues with parrots in the past in terms of the noise. They can be quite noisy but I would imagine with the right teaching they could be quietened down if they were taught to be a little quieter but that is of course, the choice of the owner to teach them that.

Shortie

This I can imagine, we have someone who lives not too far from us that has a parrot and when it's a nice day they tend to allow their parrot to be outside in the cage, you can often hear the parrot as you are walking past but it's not overly excessive and they do tend to try and calm the parrot down if it gets too much.

Unfortunately, you will sometimes come across parrots that are really loud and disturbing and that is usually because of how the owners teach them.

Henrywrites

This I can imagine, we have someone who lives not too far from us that has a parrot and when it's a nice day they tend to allow their parrot to be outside in the cage, you can often hear the parrot as you are walking past but it's not overly excessive and they do tend to try and calm the parrot down if it gets too much.

Unfortunately, you will sometimes come across parrots that are really loud and disturbing and that is usually because of how the owners teach them.

I think it is down to how the owners took time to teach them. It is not something that you will find easy in the long-term especially with some noisy parrots.

Toni

I haven't owned a parrot yet. I'm not sure if I would know how to take care of them because I haven't had the opportunity to in close contact with any. They are very intelligent and smart. Whenever I watch them in documentary, I'm always impressed.

Sandex

Parrots talk too much for my liking 😂. I'm not sure if I would have the patience to deal with owning them. I know they are exotic pets but I'm sure they are not for me. Those who can keep it are welcomed to do so on my behalf.

Henrywrites

Parrots talk too much for my liking 😂. I'm not sure if I would have the patience to deal with owning them. I know they are exotic pets but I'm sure they are not for me. Those who can keep it are welcomed to do so on my behalf.

Their noise is the biggest challenge that they have. Aside that, I don't see any reason anyone wouldn't want to own one as they have this aesthetic appearance that makes them cool.

Ragnarok

I haven't had the opportunity to own a parrot but I'm open to keeping one if I would be given a detailed lessons on how to take very good care of them. They are not like dogs or cats, they stay in a cage, so it's going to be a good work making them feel at home in their cages.

Ivar

I don't like keeping birds as a pet which is the reason why it has never occurred to me to consider owning a parrot. Even though I know that they look cute and with the way they usually talk, it's going to be entertaining to have them around in your home.

Harvey

I nearly got a parrot yesterday when I was coming home from work. I saw a man who wanted to give his parrot away to anyone interested in keeping the bird. The parrot looked so beautiful with three colours - green, red and yellow mix. I couldn't because I don't know how to start caring for a bird.

Ragnarok

I would want to keep parrot soon. I always love how they talk with you and keep you company. Some of them can even do security job by telling you who came into the house. Parrots are lovely animal.