Have you known your cats to eat fleas?

Shortie

This is something I have only just noticed recently with a neighbour's cat who recently had fleas, he would manage to get a flea when he was washing and it would jump and land on a surface he was near and he would spot it and then eat it.

Is this something that is normal for a cat to do? Have you known your cat to eat fleas?

He has now been treated and is flea free it seems but it was the first time I had seen a cat do that.

Toni

I believe that I've seen something like this before with my grandmother's cat that used to suffer from fleas and whenever they come out when they are taking a bath they will usually eat them. I think it's more of the feeling that it's something they can eat because if they're not comfortable with it, I'm not sure they are going to eat it.

Ivar

It's a normal thing for cats to ingest fleas whenever they are grooming themselves but this is something that I would try as much as possible to prevent by taking them for grooming as often as possible. This is because, if the fleas are infected with tapeworms, they will becomes infected with a tapeworm.

Sandex

I have seen my cat eats fleas once in a while and I know it's something that is not good for the digestive system. This is the reason why when I discover them doing that, I'll have to take them for grooming immediately so that those fleas will be taken care of.

Stephen

No, I've not seen any of my cats eat fleas. This is because they never have fleas under their fur. I make sure they are treated for fleas regularly. My cat's good health is very important to me.

Ragnarok

It is not advisable for you to allow your cats to be infested with fleas before you treat them. This is because there is always a chance that they are going to be picking those fleas by themselves and they will eventually end up eating them and it's going to affect their health.