Have you had to put your cats on a diet before?

Nikki

The two cats that I have at the moment have not had to be put on a diet as their weight is where it should be and they are healthy but I have in the past had a cat that had to go on a diet as he did put on a lot of weight. It's not always cheap to put them on a diet either as in some cases the vet recommends certain foods to help them which can be costly.

Have you had to put your cats on a diet? How easy did you find it to keep them on the diet?

Foxybananas

I will like to know too. One our of my 3 cats is extremely overweight, because he eats everything! The other 2 cats, eat enough to survive where my Professor X eats for taste and when there is no food cries for it!

Our cats do not eat throughout the day. I feed one and a half can of wet food, for 3 cats and we have an automatic feeder for their lunch and dinner that dispenses small portions .. but again our 2 older cats eat a little bit and walk away and then Professor X eats and eats and eats, until everything is gone! And then still acts like he is starving!!

Destiny

So far I have not had to put any of my cats on a diet as they all seem to eat well enough and not overeat at the moment. I know that can sometimes change as they get older so I am always prepared to be advised to put them on a diet if the vet recommends but for now, everything seems good.

I have heard from many who I know have had to put their cats on a diet say that is not as easy as it would seem.

Stephen

I have never thought about it when it comes to putting my cats on diet. I don't even put myself on diet and not to talk about doing it to my cats.

Also, for the fact that it's not something which was recommended by my vet, there's no way I'm going to do it on my own discretion.
My cat doesn't over eat to begin with.

Shortie

I remember when I was younger, we had a cat that we took in after he had been left by his owner when they moved house and they never came back for him.

Due to how he had been treated, he became quite a greedy cat and that resulted in him putting on quite a bit of weight. We were advised to put him on a diet but no matter how much we did it, he never seemed to lose weight. He lived until he was 18 though.

Henrywrites

I have never thought about it when it comes to putting my cats on diet. I don't even put myself on diet and not to talk about doing it to my cats.

Also, for the fact that it's not something which was recommended by my vet, there's no way I'm going to do it on my own discretion.
My cat doesn't over eat to begin with.

I have done it twice. The first time I put my cats on diet was when they were brought in newly and looked so lean. I followed my vet prescription on doing so too.