Has your cat ever gone missing?

Shortie

I don't think I have ever known anyone who has had a cat and the cat has not gone missing in some way.

When I had Smokey, I remember back in May 2014 on a Friday evening, she went out like she normally does and never returned home which was very unusual for Smokey, we kept looking for her but nothing.

On Saturday I decided to send out leaflets asking people to keep an eye out for her as she had not returned and we were worried, asking them to check sheds and outhouses.

By Sunday morning there was still nothing and we were really worried. We decided to have a barbeque to see if that would bring her out of hiding if she was hiding as she always loved it when we had barbeques. After the barbeque, still nothing.

A little later on Sunday, I was making sure my kids were bathed and ready for bed and my brother came up the stairs with Smokey, he handed her to me and she lay in my arms like a baby. Was so happy she came home and it was a very worrying few days.

Has your cat ever gone missing? How long were they missing?

Kennysplash

Staff member
I live in a fenced and gated place. So my cat never goes out of the compound. Zoey does not even like going out of the house into the compound. So I never had to look for him.

Ravenfreak

Yes, one time our cat named Lucky got out. I made the mistake of leaving the door open after I left to go to my last day of Junior year. My cousin was over and I thought he was behind me so I left the door open and Lucky got out. I kid you not, I had a dream the night before he returned that my dad seen him out on the fence that was behind our house, the next day that's exactly where we found him a week after he got out.

Ragnarok

I've never been unfortunate to have any of my cats go missing. I'm always making sure they are indoors. I don't have any openings for them to go out unless I'm going out with them.

Toni

No, I've never had any of my cats go missing and I make sure not to allow them to go and stray far away from home because that is one of the easiest way that your cat can get lost or even get taken and killed by people who are anti cats.

Harvey

I haven't been unfortunate to start looking for my cats and it's also the reason why I try as much as possible to prevent them running outside when I am not aware because that is one of the easiest way that your cats can get missing.

Stephen

Nope! I've never had any of my cats gone missing and I am happy because I've made sure not to allow the possibility of that happening by not allowing them to go out of the house and getting along with every other cats in the neighborhood.

Kennysplash

Staff member
Nope! I've never had any of my cats gone missing and I am happy because I've made sure not to allow the possibility of that happening by not allowing them to go out of the house and getting along with every other cats in the neighborhood.
The last point is a reason why many cats go missing. They see other cats and want to mingle with them, before you know it they are nowhere to be found. I have seen it happen once.

Teegold

One of my cats, Rhea was missing on new year's eve. I was so worried and scared something bad might have happened to her. It was a neighbor of mine who lived a few blocks away that brought her back, saying Rhea was with his cat all day. Apparently she had found a soulmate! 🤣

Sandex

It was only one of my kittens that got missing after she left the house without my knowledge. It took about 12 hours before I was able to find her again. Since then, I don't allow them to leave my house so that I know how to find them.