Do your cat's purr when they sleep?

Destiny

Something I have noticed with my cats, not all of them but at least one of them seems to purr when they sleep. I am not sure if it's because they are happy and content or if maybe something else is causing them to purr when they sleep.

Do your cat's purr when they sleep? Has there ever been a reason that you have noticed as to why they purr when they sleep?

Shortie

I had known Smokey to sometimes purr in her sleep but could never understand why, it wasn't something she did all the time and it was very rare she did it so I would always notice when she did as it was not a regular thing.

Nikki

I can't say I have known my cats to purr when they sleep, it's either they don't or it's I just do not hear it when they do. Many people who I know have said they have heard their cats purr in their sleep though so it must be a thing they do but I have not noticed.

I do know that cats can purr when they are happy and when they are in pain, that was not something I knew until someone told me a few months back.

Henrywrites

I had known Smokey to sometimes purr in her sleep but could never understand why, it wasn't something she did all the time and it was very rare she did it so I would always notice when she did as it was not a regular thing.

Maybe it is a result of being excited. Cats purr when they are having some great moods which doesn't come often when they sleep.

Destiny

I can't say I have known my cats to purr when they sleep, it's either they don't or it's I just do not hear it when they do. Many people who I know have said they have heard their cats purr in their sleep though so it must be a thing they do but I have not noticed.

I do know that cats can purr when they are happy and when they are in pain, that was not something I knew until someone told me a few months back.
This is very true, I had read it myself somewhere that cats do indeed purr when the are in pain as well as when they are happy and content. It does make it difficult to know why they are purring unless it's visible that they are either happy or unwell.

Shortie

This is very true, I had read it myself somewhere that cats do indeed purr when the are in pain as well as when they are happy and content. It does make it difficult to know why they are purring unless it's visible that they are either happy or unwell.
It was my mum who told me about the cats purring could either be them in pain or happy.

Sometimes it is easy to tell which one it is and other times it can be difficult as there are no solid signs to be able to tell.

Ja sa bong

I would rather have my cats not purr at all whenever they are sleeping as I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing going on with them. But unfortunately, it's not as I wish, they all tend to purr most of the time when they are asleep.

Henrywrites

It was my mum who told me about the cats purring could either be them in pain or happy.

Sometimes it is easy to tell which one it is and other times it can be difficult as there are no solid signs to be able to tell.

The fact that there are no solid signs to show whether they are excited or in pains make the whole difference. One can't tell me that it is easy to identify which one is what when the cat purrs.

Ja sa bong

Yesterday when my cat was sleeping, I had to tempt her by placing a shrimp 🦐 beside her nose and she was chewing in her dream while she purrs too. She woke up in some minutes and jumped on the shrimp. It was very funny.

Stephen

It's a normal thing for cats to purr every now and then. My cats do it all the time whenever they are sleeping and my vet told me that it's nothing to worry about. As long as they are doing it like they are in distress, it's a good thing with cats.

Harvey

My cat have always been doing this whenever she's sleeping. I asked my vet about it and he told me that there is nothing wrong with it, so I stop bothering about it. She still used to do it every now and then whenever she's sleeping at night.

Sandex

Yes, all of my cats purr whenever they are sleeping. I know it's a common thing for cats to purr in their sleep. It's why when I saw them doing it as kittens, I was never worried about it. It's part of their genetic make up.

Ivar

Ever since I started keeping cats as pets, I have never seen any one of them that doesn't purr at night when they sleep. Iit is a natural thing for cats as far as I know and I'm not going to be worked up over it when I see it happen because I know they should do such when they are sleeping.

Ragnarok

Mine does purr whenever they are tired. I've noticed it countless times. At some point, I was worried but I was told not to worry about it because it's normal for cats to purr.

Henrywrites

Mine does purr whenever they are tired. I've noticed it countless times. At some point, I was worried but I was told not to worry about it because it's normal for cats to purr.

It is natural for cats to purr when they are tired and sleeping. It is not so much that you are going to worry about. Do you understand?