Do you like to keep your cats indoors and make them house cats?

Shortie

I have met a few people who when they get cats, tend to bring them up as being house cats that never go outside, they will have everything in the house that they need so they do not need to go outside. Many people who do this are usually ones who worry that if their cats head outside they will get harmed in some way.

I myself have never tried to make any cat I have had a house cat and have always allowed them to go out when they wanted to and if they wanted to.

Are you someone who likes to keep cats indoors and as a house cat or do you like to let them head outside?

Foxybananas

I do not allow my cats to go outside. Never have and never will. It is just not safe. When I lived in the city, there was just too much activity outside, too many cars, too many people with dogs, etc. Now that I live in the suburbs, everything is calm outside, it is peaceful... but there are foxes, mountain lions and bears! Nope, I will never allow my cats go outside and expose them to danger.

Altair

I do not allow my cats to go outside. Never have and never will. It is just not safe. When I lived in the city, there was just too much activity outside, too many cars, too many people with dogs, etc. Now that I live in the suburbs, everything is calm outside, it is peaceful... but there are foxes, mountain lions and bears! Nope, I will never allow my cats go outside and expose them to danger.
I agree. I personally chose to keep my cats indoors.

The main reason I kept my cat indoors is for his safety. I did not want my cats exposed to many dangers, such as cars, predators, and diseases.

Nikki

I don't mind my cats going outside as we live in a really quiet area with very little traffic and it's not really busy at all. Both my cats if they go out tend to only go as far as the garden and maybe into the next doors garden but that is it.

Destiny

I could never keep my cats indoors as house cats as they love to be outside exploring especially when the weather is nice.

I could only imagine how they would be if I stopped them from going outside. We have had to in the past if they have been a little under the weather and that never went well.

Shortie

I don't mind my cats going outside as we live in a really quiet area with very little traffic and it's not really busy at all. Both my cats if they go out tend to only go as far as the garden and maybe into the next doors garden but that is it.
That was how Smokey was, she would only venture as far as our garden or maybe the neighbors and would not go any further so it was never a huge worry for me when she was out.

I could never keep my cats indoors as house cats as they love to be outside exploring especially when the weather is nice.

I could only imagine how they would be if I stopped them from going outside. We have had to in the past if they have been a little under the weather and that never went well.
I know this feeling only too well. As much as Smokey did become more nervous about going out and us not being with her, if you kept her in the house when she wanted to be out, she let you know about it.

Destiny

That was how Smokey was, she would only venture as far as our garden or maybe the neighbors and would not go any further so it was never a huge worry for me when she was out.

I know this feeling only too well. As much as Smokey did become more nervous about going out and us not being with her, if you kept her in the house when she wanted to be out, she let you know about it.
Oh, I agree. They sure do know how to kick up a fuss and make you feel guilty if you stop them from doing something they want to. When they say cats are smart they really are when it comes to making you feel bad about stopping them from doing something.

Shortie

Oh, I agree. They sure do know how to kick up a fuss and make you feel guilty if you stop them from doing something they want to. When they say cats are smart they really are when it comes to making you feel bad about stopping them from doing something.
For sure they do! I always remember Smokey would play up to some extent if you wouldn't let her do something she wanted to, she would throw herself on the floor and make out like you saying no was the worst thing in the world or she would follow you around and get in the way just to make sure you knew she was there to kick up a fuss and protest when you said no to her. They are very much smart but do tend to hide it a lot.

Henrywrites

I have wanted my cats to have their freedom. Making them house cats will make them not adventurous and that is not what I want with my cats too.

Sandex

My cats are mostly indoors. It's not that I don't allowed them to have outdoor time but not too often. This is because they usually come back inside with a lot of mess that makes me want to give them a bath and they really hate to bath.

Henrywrites

My cats are mostly indoors. It's not that I don't allowed them to have outdoor time but not too often. This is because they usually come back inside with a lot of mess that makes me want to give them a bath and they really hate to bath.
Cats don't like to have their bath and that can be a big issue to deal with. It is good that you took the decision to make them stay indoors majority of the time.

Last edited:

Ja sa bong

My cats don't like being outdoor. It makes it easy for me not to worry about taking them outdoor. They feel more comfortable with being indoors more than they do being outdoor. The fear of getting wet outside contributes to why they hate being outside.

Henrywrites

My cats don't like being outdoor. It makes it easy for me not to worry about taking them outdoor. They feel more comfortable with being indoors more than they do being outdoor. The fear of getting wet outside contributes to why they hate being outside.

You are lucky to have cats that prefer staying indoors. The story is different for my cat, simba, as she will want to zoom off at the slightest opportunity that she gets at home.

Ja sa bong

You are lucky to have cats that prefer staying indoors. The story is different for my cat, simba, as she will want to zoom off at the slightest opportunity that she gets at home.
Your cat Simba have so much wild traits in her gene, it's why she behaves in such a manner. Her safety is what matters, as long as she comes back on every day safe and sound, there's nothing for you to worry about.

Toni

The main reason why I got my cats in the first place is to have them live indoors with me and not be outdoor cats. Yeah, I can take them out for a walk sometimes but that's once in a while and not something I would allow them do on their own.

Stephen

I feel more comfortable with my cats being home breed than always having the urge to go outside. They are meant to stay in door and keep me company. I don't like missing them when I'm home.

Harvey

There is nothing wrong with keeping your cats in doors. I believe it is even for their own good to be indoor because a lot of things can go wrong when they are outside and some of them might get hurt or even get killed. They better be home cats to me.

Ivar

It is better for me that my cats are trained to be house cats because they are always going to be in a space where I will take very good care of them and not allow them to be exposed to any kind of dangers which cats that usually stay outside face everyday.