Did you know that cats find direct eye contact threatening?

Nikki

So this is something I was told by a friend quite a long time ago and I never knew about it before hand. Have you ever noticed that your cats will not always make direct eye contact with you? Did you know it was threatening to them to make direct eye contact?

It's amazing to be able to find out things like this that you may never have known. If you ever choose to make direct eye contact with your cats, be ready!

Destiny

I did know this. I have at least a few times made direct eye contact with my cats and it has been funny to see even though they do not see the funny side to it.

The death stare I get from them when I make direct eye contact is quite funny.

Henrywrites

I don't make eye contacts with my cats. I don't want to make them feel scared of being around as they are my friends whenever that I am lonely.

Shortie

I did know this. I remember as a kid it was my mum who told me that cats don't like it when you make direct eye contact they don't like it.

Smokey used to hate it when we did it and very much gave the death stare.

Sandex

I knew about this long ago from watching cartons when I was still a teenager or even a kid. It's called staring down the cat. Once they see you're not afraid, they will try to avoid you.

It's said to work with wolf too. A scene about that was seen the TV show Marco Polo. It was an interesting TV show.

Henrywrites

I did know this. I remember as a kid it was my mum who told me that cats don't like it when you make direct eye contact they don't like it.

Smokey used to hate it when we did it and very much gave the death stare.

I've seen brave cats that will look you eye balls to eye balls. While I consider them as exceptions, I think it is not a big deal that cats will want to avoid your gaze unlike dogs.

Ja sa bong

I know that cats find direct eye contact threatening especially with a stranger. They don't look strangers directly in the eyes freely. They do it only with someone they have built trust in their company.

Henrywrites

I know that cats find direct eye contact threatening especially with a stranger. They don't look strangers directly in the eyes freely. They do it only with someone they have built trust in their company.

This is true, but I have seen one cat look directly into my eyes when I visited the home of the owner. I was bothered and asked them why is the cat behaving that way only to be told that it was a sprayed cat.

Harvey

I noticed that with my neighbours cats because they always try as much as possible to avoid eye contacts with me at first.

But after visiting my neighbour's a couple of times, his cats got used to me and began having eye contacts with me.

Henrywrites

I noticed that with my neighbours cats because they always try as much as possible to avoid eye contacts with me at first.

But after visiting my neighbour's a couple of times, his cats got used to me and began having eye contacts with me.

You don't go to your neighbor with your cat? Maybe that would have made the process a bit smooth and faster as both cats will get along with you.

Ja sa bong

This is true, but I have seen one cat look directly into my eyes when I visited the home of the owner. I was bothered and asked them why is the cat behaving that way only to be told that it was a sprayed cat.
Does a cat being sprayed have anything to do with the cat having eye contact with a stranger? I think that might not be the case with you and your neighbour. The cat might have recognised you.

Ivar

I believe that it is a matter of dominance and intimidation that makes cat not to feel comfortable whenever they are having direct eye contact with anyone. I've tried it a couple of times with all of my cards and they are never really comfortable with it. Some of them might withstand for a while but they will always walk away.