How does your cat communicate with you?

Altair

As cat owners, we are all aware of the various ways cats can communicate with us. Even though they may not be able to speak our language, they can communicate with us through a variety of vocalizations, body language, and behaviors.

Cats frequently communicate in the following ways:

Meowing: Cats communicate with humans by meowing in a variety of ways. They may meow to get your attention, to let you know they're hungry, or to make requests.

Cats frequently purr when they are content or happy. They may, however, also purr if they are uncomfortable or anxious.

Cats also communicate with their bodies through body language. For example, when they arch their back, it may indicate that they are feeling threatened or scared.

Cats may make eye contact with us in order to communicate with us. They might glare at us to get our attention or to show that they're uneasy.

Cats may headbutt or rub against us to express affection or to mark their territory.

Cats can communicate with us by hissing, growling, yowling, and other vocalizations in addition to meowing.

.How does your cat communicate to you? Do you have any amusing tales to tell?

Last edited:

Shortie

When Smokey was around she had a few ways she used to communicate with us from meowing when she wanted our attention to even sitting and waiting patiently in the kitchen if she wanted food.

One thing I always remember her doing for quite a few years as she got older though, she used to wait until we had all gone to bed. Once it was all quiet downstairs, she used to meow but it sounded like she was saying "where are you?" she would do that until you called her and she came up the stairs and it would be like a shock that she had found us.

Destiny

My cats tend to communicate with us in different ways depending on what they want. If they are wanting attention they tend to do little purr noises whilst nudging you to let you know they want attention.

When they are hungry then tend to wind around our legs and feet and meow to let us know that.

Shortie

My cats tend to communicate with us in different ways depending on what they want. If they are wanting attention they tend to do little purr noises whilst nudging you to let you know they want attention.

When they are hungry then tend to wind around our legs and feet and meow to let us know that.
Smokey would do this a lot to us but she would get into the habit of doing it not only 30 minutes after she had been fed, we knew she wasn't hungry but more so just wanted to be greedy so we have to stand our ground and tell her now.

She was quite persistent though and would do it for hours until her next feed, she never got her way but she still continued.

Henrywrites

My cat will rather meow to gain my attention especially when hungry or wants us to play. This is something that I found exciting especially when she does it for us to play.

Toni

Apart from frequently purring and meowing, my cat also taps me whenever he wants my attention and it works very well.

There was a day I was on my system, my cat literally had to come and sit across my laptop so that I stop what I'm doing to carry and pet him.

Henrywrites

Apart from frequently purring and meowing, my cat also taps me whenever he wants my attention and it works very well.

There was a day I was on my system, my cat literally had to come and sit across my laptop so that I stop what I'm doing to carry and pet him.

That is an effective way of communicating with you. The cat understood that and it is good you respond whenever he does that.

Ja sa bong

As cat owners, we are all aware of the various ways cats can communicate with us. Even though they may not be able to speak our language, they can communicate with us through a variety of vocalizations, body language, and behaviors.

Cats frequently communicate in the following ways:

Meowing: Cats communicate with humans by meowing in a variety of ways. They may meow to get your attention, to let you know they're hungry, or to make requests.

Cats frequently purr when they are content or happy. They may, however, also purr if they are uncomfortable or anxious.

Cats also communicate with their bodies through body language. For example, when they arch their back, it may indicate that they are feeling threatened or scared.

Cats may make eye contact with us in order to communicate with us. They might glare at us to get our attention or to show that they're uneasy.

Cats may headbutt or rub against us to express affection or to mark their territory.

Cats can communicate with us by hissing, growling, yowling, and other vocalizations in addition to meowing.

.How does your cat communicate to you? Do you have any amusing tales to tell?

Meowing with a lovely eyes looking at me is how my cats communicate with me. Once they start looking at me with those eyes, I can't say no to what they are asking from me. I love it when they rub their skin on me. It makes me feel good.

Henrywrites

Meowing with a lovely eyes looking at me is how my cats communicate with me. Once they start looking at me with those eyes, I can't say no to what they are asking from me. I love it when they rub their skin on me. It makes me feel good.

Are you sure you can't say no when the request is to climb the book shelf or play with the Christmas tree? 😁 There are times that I get to tell my cats no for a reason too.

Sandex

There are so many ways my cat communicate with me. They can meow when they want my attention, they can also scratch me; it's also a sign of communication and they usually come and rub their body on me which is also a means of communication. I try and understand whenever they are playing around.