Having fish when you have cats.

Destiny

I only once ever had fish during the time I have had cats and it never went down well at all. My cats somehow managed to gain access to the fish that we had and it didn't end well for the fish so we swore we would never get fish again with having cats. I personally feel it was the tank we kept them in and the way the lid was for the tank, for the life of me I can not work out how they got into it but they managed it.

Have you had fish whilst having a cat? How did it go?

Shortie

We once had fish not too long after we got Smokey. Even though we had the fish bowl up and out of the way, she still managed to get to it and kill the fish so we never bothered with any more fish after that until we were sure we could get a secure enough tank that she would not be able to get into.

Nikki

I have many friends who have fish and also have a cat as well but because they have huge aquariums the cat is unable to get to the fish.

I have never thought about getting fish when having cats as I know I would not be able to have an aquarium like what would be needed to ensure the fish were safe.

Destiny

We once had fish not too long after we got Smokey. Even though we had the fish bowl up and out of the way, she still managed to get to it and kill the fish so we never bothered with any more fish after that until we were sure we could get a secure enough tank that she would not be able to get into.
As much as you feel that something is out of the reach of a cat, they always seem to be able to out smart us and find a way around it and they end up getting to something we feel was out of there reach. Will admit they are not only patient but very clever at working things out and if they want to get to something, they will find a way.

Shortie

As much as you feel that something is out of the reach of a cat, they always seem to be able to out smart us and find a way around it and they end up getting to something we feel was out of there reach. Will admit they are not only patient but very clever at working things out and if they want to get to something, they will find a way.
I agree. They really are as smart as many do say they just do not always show it. This was a lesson learned that no matter where I put the fish she would work out a way to get to them, even if it took her hours to figure out.

Destiny

I agree. They really are as smart as many do say they just do not always show it. This was a lesson learned that no matter where I put the fish she would work out a way to get to them, even if it took her hours to figure out.
Oh, they are very patient when it comes to that. I remember one of my cats spending hours in the same spot and focused on the same spot when they saw something. It took them ages to finally move away and give up and that was probably because whatever caught their attention in the first place, never happened again.

Harvey

As long as your cats will have access to your fishes, they will very well certainly eat them. I have seen that happen several times to know that it's not going to work. You're just setting up good raw food for them and they will take it by all means.

Ivar

The fishes lives will be in danger every day once you open their tank and leave it open. Most cats love fish, and that likely going to get your cat to eat your fish whenever they get the opportunity to do so.

No matter the temptation, I wouldn't keep cat and fishes as my pets at the same time. It's too risky.

Henrywrites

The two doesn't get along at all. So, it is no surprise that your cat found a way to kill the fish. I don't keep fishes around at all.

Toni

If your fish aquariums are big, your cats wouldn't go anywhere near them because of their fear of water. It's only when they are small which would make it easy for your cats to stand over them. At that point, the lives of your fishes are no longer guaranteed.

Henrywrites

If your fish aquariums are big, your cats wouldn't go anywhere near them because of their fear of water. It's only when they are small which would make it easy for your cats to stand over them. At that point, the lives of your fishes are no longer guaranteed.

I will always like to start with fingerlings. That is how you enjoy the experience and not the other way round as you are trying to paint it. You will definitely like to see the little fishes grow.

Ragnarok

To the best of my knowledge, it is not a wise decision for you to have fishes in your house probably in your fish tank and also have cats who can be able to access the fish tank to catch your fish and eat them. It is like a constant temptation for your cats everyday.

Sandex

It is a very big mistake for you to have a fish tank at your home when you have cats as well. There are some cats that are very active when it comes to catching fishes on their own and if your cats are that type, there is no fish in that your tank that is going to be safe

Toni

I will always like to start with fingerlings. That is how you enjoy the experience and not the other way round as you are trying to paint it. You will definitely like to see the little fishes grow.

I know a lot of people are into fish breeding business. They breed cat fish from fingerlings stage until they are mature for eating. I personally love eating cat fish.