Does your cat hate being touched?

Stephen

This is something my sister keeps complaining about her cat. She have only one cat but as much as her cat loves being close to her, she doesn't like to be touched in the process. I've witnessed it myself when I visited her last month. Her cat will come cert close to you but wouldn't like being touched. When you try to touch her, her body language will tell you immediately she doesn't like it.

What can she do to change this?

Henrywrites

Luna is exactly that way. I don't know if it is down to the breed of a cat or something else. It is strange sometimes to have a cat that hates being touched.

Shortie

Cats are much like humans in a way and no matter what you try, they really do not like being fussed or even touched at all.

As much as this may be something you do not like as you would have liked to pet your cat, it does make them feel uncomfortable.

I personally would try taking your time and seeing if she warms up to the idea of being petted and touched, sometimes cat prefer to do things on their terms and not on their owners terms.

Katrinka

We had a Devon Rex breed and she loved being cuddled and petted. She acted like a dog in some ways so maybe that had to do with it, even though she didn't grow up around dogs. I think starting them off young to enjoy being petted is one solution, but then again, cats are finicky. When they're done, they're done.

Sandex

I would say that it's all down to how your cat is raised from kitten. If they are very friendly growing up, it's going to be very easy for them to be open to being touched, robbed all over and carried around too. It's exactly how my cats are and it makes it fun being around them all the time.

Toni

It's the opposite for my cats, they love being touched and they can be very demanding for it. If you don't pet them, they won't get out of your way. They will be walking all over the place moewing for your attention.

Ragnarok

No, all of my cats love being touched and petted whenever they come close to you. One of them love it whenever I'm touching her ears. If I stop, she will bring her ear closer for me to keep touching it.